Saturday 23 January 2016

Top 5 January Jams



Since I've been commuting to university for the last few months, I've had a lot more time to listen to music, as travelling there and back each day isn't a quick journey. I've noticed that every day I seem to play a lot of the same music so I've compiled a short list of some of my favourite songs this month for you guys to listen to.



Gold Steps // Neck Deep

Neck Deep have quickly become one of my favourite bands thanks to the most recent album they released, Life's Not Out to Get You. It was really difficult for me to pick just one song from the album to share with you in a blog post because it's just one of those albums for me that I can listen to every single song on, and not want to skip over any of them. With Gold Steps in particular I think that the message portrayed through the lyrics is so important and reflects the tough times in life perfectly - something which everyone can relate to. I think if you ever feel down or life isn't going your way, that this is the perfect song to rock out to. If gives you a bit of a kick up the bum to keep trying but makes you realise that life can't always be perfect but if you carry on then things will get better for you. I'd really recommend giving this song in particular a listen but the whole album is beautiful and carries some really strong messages in the lyrics, which I'm a complete sucker for.






Follow You // Bring Me The Horizon 

Bring Me The Horizon's most recent album That's The Spirit, is another album that I can listen to without wanting to skip over any of the songs. My favourite song is Follow You because it's something slightly different to what you'd expect to hear from the band. It has a really chilled out vibe to it but the lyrics are really powerful and kind of dark in a way as it's about loving someone so much that you'd follow them into the depths of hell just to be able to hold their hand. I know a lot of people were disappointed with the overall sound of That's The Spirit when it was first released but I personally was and am a huge fan.







Save Rock and Roll // Fall Out Boy

As a huge Fall Out Boy fan and a secret lover of Elton John's music, this song makes me so incredibly happy. Personally I would have thought Fall Out Boy and Elton John singing and playing would have been an unlikely combo, probably because their audiences differ massively but they've made it work surprisingly well. There's something about Elton's voice in this song that just ties the whole thing together and makes me feel all warm inside. The music video is brilliant as well so if you haven't listened to the band before or heard this song in particular, be sure to check this one out.







Stressed Out // Twenty One Pilots 

I don't know whether it's just me that hasn't looked hard enough but I've never come across a band like Twenty One Pilots before. Admittedly I haven't listened to a lot of their music but from what I've heard their sound and style are really unique. In this song Stressed Out, I love the mixture of the rapping and pop-punk spin they put on it. It's something I never even considered to be a thing and being someone who doesn't listen to rap, I was pleasantly surprised when I found myself enjoying this song. I've honestly had this stuck in my head for days and I'll catch myself randomly bursting into song when I'm on my own.







Lean On // Major Lazer (Pop Punk)

I've been subscribed to a YouTube channel called Ghost Killer Entertainment for a while now. They upload covers of mainstream songs but a band will cover it in a 'punk goes pop' style. I throughly enjoyed the original version of Lean On by Major Lazer but the cover by Openside is even better in my opinion. I like how overall the song has been kept pretty similar to the original and only changed slightly making it heavier. I'm a fan of the vocals on this one, they're what makes it better than the original for me. I'd recommend checking out other covers on the GKE channel as the majority of them are amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment